The Dividends Debate: ideas for diversification in equity income
With global and UK dividends at an all-time high, using equities as a primary driver for income has never been more popular. But just how robust are these equity income strategies and how might investors look to diversify income yields from holding risky equity assets?
The Dividend Debate, hosted by David Stevenson (FT, IW and MW) and Lawrence Gosling (IW and now WhatInvestment) looks to analyse and critically examine all the key debates surrounding dividends. Media partners event will include What Investment, ETF Stream and MoneyWeek. Both David and Lawrence will also be building on their decades long connections to both the City and the advisory community to build a diverse audience.
When? 15th May 2018
The address? 31 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7QA
Kick off time? 8.30am
The session – from 9am until 1pm – will explore a number of key questions including:
- How to work up and down the size spectrum to maximise diversification i.e focus on large vs small cap
- Using options-based strategies to overlay onto equity income portfolios
- Smart beta and quantitative ideas to systematically capture dividends growth
- Using best of breed ‘smart’ structured products to fuse the best attributes of passive and smart beta together
- Using alternatives such as real estate to boost income from equities
- Geographical dispersion to improve resilience
Panels and key notes will include:
- Alternative assets and property as a primary driver for income
- Emerging markets and the rise of the dividend – focus on India
- Small and mid-cap dividend investing
- Large cap blue chip dividend investing and the concentration risk
- How sustainable are current equity income yields?
Who is this event aimed at?
The event is free for investors with a focus on research desks at wealth advisers, IFAs/financial planners and high net worth individuals.
Registration & Coffee
The Big Picture on dividends : a strategic overview and a dive into UK dividend payouts
Discussion with Andrew Lapthorne from Societe General and Mark Baker from Link Asset Services on their UK Dividend Monitor
Large cap equity income investing in the UK and Globally: Surging dividends – fragile balance sheets?
Discussion with Matthew Page from Guinness Asset Management and Mark Peden from Kames Capital
Mid and small cap investing – Safety in (smaller) size?
Discussion with Gervais Williams of Miton and David Horner from Chelverton AM
Emerging markets: the new frontier – Where to look and what to be look out for?
Edward Lam from Somerset Capital
Smart Beta and Dividends – Quantitative strategies for capturing dividends
The right index and the right ETF – can passive strategies deliver enhanced income?
Discussion with Andrew Innes from S&P Dow Jones Indices, Anthony Kruger of BlackRock iShares, Chanchal Sammader from Lyxor and Amanda Rebello, CFA from DWS
Structuring enhanced income – Can options based strategies generate a robust enhanced income?
Discussion with Morgane Delledonne from BMO and Chris Taylor from Tempo SPs
Alternative routes to income – Using real assets, property and infrastructure to build income
David Conlon from Gravis and Duncan Owen from Schroders
More about the Big Call event series
The Big Call is a new debate-based initiative for professional investors and advisers as well as experienced private investors looking to explore key themes within portfolio strategies using a more analytical approach. Each session will focus on a key thematic (the robustness of dividends or fixed income diversification, for instance) and explore all the systematic ideas designed to implement that thematic – moving across both active and passive fund management strategies.
The initial debate will focus on the Dividend Debate.